Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Well, Long Time No See!!

Hello folks!! I know I have been missing in action since my last post.  But, a lot has happened since then.  The Naturals in the City Hair and Wellness Expo was a huge success, my son is now in first grade, I cut my hair, and I turned the big 35 back in August.

In my last post, I told you guys about the Naturals in the City Hair and Wellness Expo that took place on July 28th.  People were all abuzz about the event; so much so that people were there as early as 8 am to see what was going on.  There were fabulous women from many different cities and towns excited about what Memphis's natural hair community had to offer.  I really wanted to get photos of the event.  But, since I was working one of the ticket tables, I couldn't take any :(.  If you didn't make it to this year's event, don't fret my pet!! NITC is going to be a yearly event and will be back in effect on July 27-28, 2013.

As you may know, I'm reppin' for #teamnatural and have been over 5 years.  I'd been letting my hair grow out since I did my big chop back in November 2007.  I wanted to sport this fabulously large afro that would rival the sun whenever I stepped outside.  You know the kind (think Angela Davis.)  I was well on my way, until stress took over my life.  As a result, I ended up with a stress spot in the back of my head  that was about the size of a nickel.  At that time, I thought I would just let the spot grow out.  I'd even began to baby that area by twisting around the short spot, massaging the spot with an avocado oil blend daily, etc. I had toyed with the idea of cutting my hair off again, but like most people, I really didn't want to do it.  It wasn't until I went to one of my favorite blogs K is for Kinky and read a post entitled "When It's Time To Let Go" which was about cutting your hair because of damage.  I took that as my sign to go ahead and "just do it."  So, that Saturday at work, I told my boss that I wanted to cut my hair.  And she was happy to oblige me. I also got it colored a little more red because it wasn't bright enough for me.  Of course, I have pictures of the hair cut.  Did you think I would get you all hyped up and NOT post pics?!



The initial hair cut



Web site photo shoot

At a Christmas Banquet

Me and the little one

Getting ready for the Zo! show


**EDITED TO ADD** Since I began typing this post, I have had 2 hair cuts since then.  I have also decided to keep my hair short for a while.  I didn't realize how much easier short hair is for me.  At the most, it takes me 5 minutes to get my hair ready in the morning.  With a soon to be 7 year old, you know you need lots of time in the mornings.  Plus, with all the tings I have going on (and trying to have going on) who wants to spend a lot of time dealing with hair.  Now, don't get me wrong, when I had my big 'fro, I LOVED it.  But, once you take into account how much time you have to spend detangling, how much products you have to use, trying to keep your hair looking presentable to yourself and the world, it can take a toll on your life.  Not to mention your pocketbook.   So for me, short hair is the way to go.

Let me know what you think about the new hair cut.  Feel free to send me a comment.  Talk to you all soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment